Monday, August 29, 2011

Book 7: "Diary" by Chuck Palahniuk

My sister-in-law is a big fan of Mr. Palahniuk but I've never read any of his works.  I decided to include one of his books in my little project here and picked one fairly randomly from her shelves and now it's time to dive in.  It's not the one that my sister-in-law thinks is the best (Choke) or his most famous (Fight Club) so I think it might actually be more representative of his work than the others.

By reading the last couple books in 5 days instead of 7, I have completely caught up with my schedule and have a full week to finish this one.  At 272 pages I only need 39 page per day and, after two weeks of 100 pages per day, it should be a nice, leisurely read.

UPDATE: My first impression, after reading a lot of classic literature was, "My goodness, modern literature sure is vulgar."  But, after I got used to the changes in style this book really grew on me.  It went from that initial revolting to intriguing to very interesting.  I'm not sure that I was happy with the ending and this was one of the only times I can remember hoping for an unhappy ending... though it's difficult to figure out what that would actually mean with this book.  My favorite  line was, after spending an entire chapter describing what different paint colors are made of (crushed beetle shells, crawfish ink, charred bone), that: "The more you know about art, the more it sounds like witchcraft."  Very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment