Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book 6: "Emma" by Jane Austen

Only two days late now.  Made up quite a bit of time with Book 5.  So now, on to something girly!  Hahaha.  Seriously, I really like Jane Austen.  Her stories are not always brilliant; I found Mansfield Park to be particularly dull.  But, her mastery of the English language is amazing.  You rarely come across such well crafted prose.  So, with that prologue, I'm looking forward to some good Regency era reading.  462 pages means 66 pages per day.  I'll probably shoot for more to try and finish it in 5 days so that I'm completely caught up.

UPDATE (08/29/11) - Another enjoyable read... It must be getting rather tiresome to hear nothing but positive reviews, but I spent quite a bit of time choosing my first few books for this project to make it as enjoyable as possible, so it's really no surprise.  Pride and Prejudice is indisputably Jane Austen's master work, but Emma comes in a very close second, in my opinion.  What I enjoyed most was the growth of the title character, Emma. In the beginning, she is meddlesome, arrogant and headstrong but, through a series of bad judgments on her own part and the effects her actions have upon her friends, she gradually learns from her mistakes and becomes a better person for it.  Other than, perhaps, Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, it's a change unseen in most of her other characters.

So there it is, my new second-favorite Jane Austen novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment