Friday, August 19, 2011

Book 5: "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway

When I read The Old Man and the Sea a few years ago I became completely enthralled with Hemingway's writing.  Reading The Sun Also Rises soon afterward pretty well confirmed it.  Since then I've read all his books except this one.  I'm still behind since my vacation, but I'm not going to throw myself any more softballs.  495 pages means 71 pages... in order to catch up completely I'd have to read 165 pages a day... I think I might shoot for 100 and see how it goes.

Update: Finished the book on August 23rd taking 5 days at just about 100 pages per day.  Another great book!  This one is about a group of partisans fighting in the Spanish Civil War.  One of the most interesting aspects of this book was the was the way Hemingway wrote the dialogue.  You are reading the words in English, but the characters are speaking Spanish and the written words, while awkward in English are very good translations of what would actually be said in Spanish.  It makes for some interesting reading, in my opinion.  It's a very deep book, at it's core and the characters spend a lot of time figuring out what's important to them in wartime and how a country can be torn apart by civil war.  Sad, but very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment