Sunday, January 29, 2012

Book 29: Solar by Ian McEwan

I really like Ian McEwan's books, though they are, more often than not, quite depressing.  It used to be that he wrote strange little macabre tales where something was off about the lives of his chraracters (children living alone in their house after burying their parents in the backyard comes to mind).  But lately, he's been writing beautiful books with characters that you come to love, then he stabs you in the heart with a tragic twist near the end.  You may love the characters and hope to see them end up happy, but you know they won't.  All that said, I love his writing and am looking forward to this book.

It's got 287 pages, so that's 41 pages per day... although I borrowed this one from the library a couple weeks ago and only have 5 days to finish it... so that's 58 pages per day.

REVIEW: Let me say straight away that I really enjoyed this book.  It his several elements that were bound to grab me.  The main character, Michael Beard, is a theoretical physicist who, a couple of decades ago, won the Nobel Prize for his work with light establishing something called the Beard-Einstein Conflation (which McEwan wisely does not explain).  Now, however, his marriage is in decline and his career has stagnated as he continues to coast along on his successes as a young man.

Ian McEwan's writing is, as always, completely engrossing.  I literally missed my bus stop no fewer than 3 times while reading on my way home from work.  He has a way of writing characters that is completely believable and you find yourself immersed in their lives.  It helped that he did his homework on this book, which helped to write a very convincing scientist-turned-scientific administrator, without making him a stereotype.

As I mentioned in the introduction to this book, McEwan typically has a tragic twist in his books.  One would think that this would get formulaic and predictable, but he has a way of introducing these twists that, while you may expect them, you are always surprised by them.  I don't want to give away the plot in this review, but I will say that, near the end of the book, I knew something was going to happen, but he gave such a complex range of things that could happen that I didn't know which it would be.  That sounds confusing; suffice it to say that Ian McEwan is an excellent writer and, despite the fact that you may suspect that his plot will include a tragic twist or surprising turn, you won't see it coming until it has already happened.

Overall, and as usual, I really liked reading McEwan's latest book.  It wasn't one of his best and the ending was a little lacking, in my opinion, but it was expertly written, completely engrossing and even comic, in a grim sort of way.  8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment