Monday, February 6, 2012

Book 30: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

I'm back to Harry Potter.  I can tell that this series is good because I'm always excited to get back to it and, here it is, the penultimate book.  The last book fully evolved the theme into it's more adult, darker tone and I'm sure this one will continue in that way.  People tell me that it's a really good book, and I haven't seen the movie for this one yet either, so the entire plot should be a surprise for me.

It's a little bit shorter than the last installment at 652 pages.  To complete it in one week would be 94 pages per day, but I tend to read these obsessively so I may finish ahead of time.

REVIEW: Another great installment of the Harry Potter series.  The thing I liked best about this book was the pace.  Because the plot is now revealed and Lord Voldemort is now acting openly, Rowling is free to advance things much more quickly.  Harry has grown out of his petulant phase and it much more trusting of his friends, Dumbledore is now acting in a much more direct and less mysterious manner and even Harry’s classwork seems to be much more focused and useful.

I like the pace that I’m going through these books as well.  I’m reading them about 10 weeks apart as I cycle through other genres and it builds up the suspense nicely.  I’m glad that I didn’t read them when they were first released or it would be a year or two between books. 

The whole reason that I started reading these books is that I felt that there was too much missing from the movie versions.  I wondered what became of Harry’s first love interest, Cho, and how his romance wth Ginny started.  I also wanted to know more about characters like Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom.  I have been completely satisfied with the books in that regard.  I have even come to like the house elves. 

The book is so full of surprises that I can’t really say much more without spoiling things, but I’m really impressed with the growth of Rowling’s writing and the overall plot of the books.  Harry Potter has definitely justified all the hype that surrounded the series and then some.  I’m looking forward to the final chapter in the story.

9 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment