Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Book 28: As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

I have to admit, I'm not really looking forward to this one.  I'm mostly reading American Literature to see what I missed in high school and some of it I have found to be very enjoyable.  Ernest Hemingway is still one of my favorite authors.  But, based on the last Faulkner novel that I read, I'm expecting this one to be a downer.  The title doesn't give me much hope of a happy ending either.  I am going to stick with it anyway, though.

Only 261 pages in this one so it should take long to get a verdict.  That's less than 40 pages per day, if anyone is counting.

REVIEW:  Well, Faulkner is still not my favorite American author but it wasn't too bad.  The novel revolves around the death of Addie Bundren, the matriarch of a poor, southern family.  The event and it's aftermath is seen from the point of view of several people who are associated with the events and jumps from person to person with each chapter.

The chief complaint that I have about American literature, principally early 20th century American literature, is it's tendency to devolve into a kind of suffocating tragedy of desperate poverty.  This one is not much different as the surviving family continue to make bad decision after bad decision as terrible luck strikes at every turn.

The writing is interesting, however.  Faulkner tends to write in a stream-of-consciousness style and uses a colloquial voice for his characters.  He is able to give each of his characters a unique style and you can really tell who is narrating by the way they speak.  The story is also interesting and it moves at a nice pace, though it's horribly depressing and a bit frustrating due the choices of the characters.

Overall, this has not done much to improve my impression of American Literature in general.  It had a good story and great writing style but unlikeable characters and a heavy mood.  I appreciate that it's an important piece of literature but it wasn't something I enjoyed very much.  6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment