Monday, November 28, 2011

Book 20: Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

While reading a lot of older books, I have found that I really like stories about the old sailing ships.  There's just something fascinating about wooden ships, canvas sails and the sense of adventure needed to take one of these things out on the open ocean.  I've read quite a few books from the Age of Sailing Ships:  Lord Jim, Robinson Crusoe, The Sea-Wolf, Treasure Island.  I'm hoping that this one lives up to it's reputation and gives me some great high seas adventure.

Only 464 pages means 67 pages per day but, if it is as good as I hope it is I'll probably finish in about 3 days.

REVIEW:  This book really hit the spot.  I was looking for a good sailing ship adventure and it was perfect.  I knew I was on the right track when I saw that there was an illustration inside labeling all the sails on a typical ship of the time.  If the publisher thinks it might be useful reference to know which is the maintopmast staysail or the mizzen topgallant then, chances are, you’re in for some good nautical adventure.

The book is the first of a very long series of books with the two main characters.  It covers their meeting and events on their first ship together, with Jack Aubrey as the Captain of the ship and Stephen Maturin as the ship’s doctor.  There’s a good deal of ship’s activity that is documented as well as the exciting parts of ship to ship combat.  The combat scenes are fast paced despite the minutiae of which sails are being pulled in and which others are being raised. 

I found these details to be engaging, especially in a genre that tends to gloss over details in favor of action.  This book had both.  I’m definitely going to continue with this series and have already placed the next volume on my reading list.

Approaches being a classic-worthy novel and is certainly one of the best sea-stories that I’ve read.  9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment