Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Book 10: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

I'm worn out from the last couple books, so I want something quick and easy this time.  At about 300 pages, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd should allow me to take my time. Besides, I've never read anything by Ms. Christie and, I assume, she must be famous for a good reason, right?  This one came up on a lot of lists as the best of her works, so I thought I'd give it a try.

REVIEW:  I expected this one to be pretty good based solely on the reputation of the author, but it exceeded my expectations by far.  The writing was very entertaining and had me hooked from the first chapter.  It was, pretty much, exactly what I want from a mystery novel.  The clues were all presented before the reveal, allowing you to make guesses as to "who dunnit" throughout.  In fact, it was complicated enough that I revised my own personal list of suspects at least 3 times before the end.  And I still got it wrong.  Mostly this is due to the great twist at the end.  I didn't see it coming at all.  I'm not going to spoil it, of course, but it got me good.

9/10 - one of the best of the genre and definitely one of my new favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment